Lincoln City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... ejw5e358jo

Lincoln FFS!!

A team we beat to the conference championship. It amazes and astounds me how these provincial teams (see Carlisle) attract big money from America. :?:
Robin
This was brought up at the forum that the majority of EFL clubs now have American investment however whilst not explicitly stated the indication was that this was not something which would be welcomed here. I do fear we could be left behind without it as even clubs like Wycombe, who are a similar size to us, have benefited greatly (at least short term) from it. That said, I am a bit skeptical as to why this money is coming in as it's hard to see where the profit is coming from for the Yanks.
longmover
Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 08:09 This was brought up at the forum that the majority of EFL clubs now have American investment however whilst not explicitly stated the indication was that this was not something which would be welcomed here. I do fear we could be left behind without it as even clubs like Wycombe, who are a similar size to us, have benefited greatly (at least short term) from it. That said, I am a bit skeptical as to why this money is coming in as it's hard to see where the profit is coming from for the Yanks.
Maybe the rexham situation has shown that there is life outside of the prem and for the fraction of the cost and as the lower leagues are so well supported here you do get some exposure for your investment?
Robin
Possibly but I believe Ipswich and Plymouth received quite a bit of US based investment before Wrexham became a thing. I can see the logic with someone like Ipswich, they come invest £20 million and if that money get's them to the Premier league they make a huge return. If it fails it's a relative low risk. But clubs like Wycombe, Wrexham, Lincoln will never realistically be able to make the Premier league without some luck, excellent off the field running (ala Brentford) to gain a competitive edge. Maybe for the smaller clubs they hedge against making the Championship and then getting returns from that.
longmover
Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 09:18 Possibly but I believe Ipswich and Plymouth received quite a bit of US based investment before Wrexham became a thing. I can see the logic with someone like Ipswich, they come invest £20 million and if that money get's them to the Premier league they make a huge return. If it fails it's a relative low risk. But clubs like Wycombe, Wrexham, Lincoln will never realistically be able to make the Premier league without some luck, excellent off the field running (ala Brentford) to gain a competitive edge. Maybe for the smaller clubs they hedge against making the Championship and then getting returns from that.
For American billionaires the £2m invested into Lincoln is nothing to them and can't see that they want to make a return on it, maybe it's just down to exposure and a footprint in the UK and they can then make moves from there?

Anyway I find it odd that these clubs seem to find the investment.
Fuller
Anyone know who the clubs are at our level who own their own grounds?
Robin
Fuller wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 09:38 Anyone know who the clubs are at our level who own their own grounds?
It's murky but I understood Derby and Reading did own their grounds but that was moved to companies under their former/current owners. Portsmouth, Bolton, Lincoln, Burton, Northampton, Cambridge and Wycombe own their grounds based on a google search, interestingly Lincoln also received £1.8 million from the council to redevelop their ground last year.

Barnsley, Exeter, Stevenage and Cheltenham lease their grounds from the local council. Oxford ground is owned by their previous chairman/owner and new ground being funded by council/new owners. Port Vale ground is owned by the clubs current owners and not the club.

There appears to be no information on Carlisle only that their new American owners plan to fund a new stand in the next two years. Similar with Fleetwood no information who owns the ground but it's likely a subsidary of the former chairman who is now currently in prison and not allowed to own a football club (yet still does some how).
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 10:09
Fuller wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 09:38 Anyone know who the clubs are at our level who own their own grounds?
It's murky but I understood Derby and Reading did own their grounds but that was moved to companies under their former/current owners. Portsmouth, Lincoln, Northampton and Wycombe own their grounds based on a google search, interestingly Lincoln also received £1.8 million from the council to redevelop their ground last year.

Barnsley, Exeter and Cheltenham lease their grounds from the local council. Oxford ground is owned by their previous chairman/owner and new ground being funded by council/new owners.
ahhhh the heady days when there was the discussion about a new ground to blend in with the new grandstand to be built at the racecourse
longmover
It's murky but I understood Derby and Reading did own their grounds but that was moved to companies under their former/current owners. Portsmouth, Bolton, Lincoln, Burton, Northampton, Cambridge and Wycombe own their grounds based on a google search, interestingly Lincoln also received £1.8 million from the council to redevelop their ground last year.

Barnsley, Exeter, Stevenage and Cheltenham lease their grounds from the local council. Oxford ground is owned by their previous chairman/owner and new ground being funded by council/new owners. Port Vale ground is owned by the clubs current owners and not the club.

There appears to be no information on Carlisle only that their new American owners plan to fund a new stand in the next two years. Similar with Fleetwood no information who owns the ground but it's likely a subsidary of the former chairman who is now currently in prison and not allowed to own a football club (yet still does some how).
imagine a council that see's the football club as an integral part of the community and a positive thing.
Lord Elpuz
Ihearye wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 10:12
It's murky but I understood Derby and Reading did own their grounds but that was moved to companies under their former/current owners. Portsmouth, Lincoln, Northampton and Wycombe own their grounds based on a google search, interestingly Lincoln also received £1.8 million from the council to redevelop their ground last year.

Barnsley, Exeter and Cheltenham lease their grounds from the local council. Oxford ground is owned by their previous chairman/owner and new ground being funded by council/new owners.
ahhhh the heady days when there was the discussion about a new ground to blend in with the new grandstand to be built at the racecourse
I do think we missed a real opportunity back then, but our Board were cautious as they could not see how CTFC would have sufficient turnover to improve the Club going forward, after payment of rent. It would have been a big gamble, but the Club would have looked so much more attractive to big business and/or other wealthy investors, especially linked to world renowned Cheltenham Racecourse, even if just selling advertising space. With wealthy American investors now taking a shine to owning a slice of English Football heritage, Cheltenham would have been much higher on their shopping list.
horlickfanclub
We had Caribbean and East Asian investment. In the 1930's we had major investment from Cheltonians. The only way the Racecourse move could work is if the Prestbury Park owners bought CTFC. I think they have since built on the area that was being suggested. It looks like the County Council are building a cycle path ready just in case.Are the new bikesheds portable in case of relocation?
Robin
When you say Carribean investment do you mean from Charles Jennings our 2nd largest shareholder who is a fan of the club but based in Cayman islands?
asl
That may be the first time I have ever seen a name attached to 'the Cayman Island investment'.
asl
A quick Google search suggests the name was mentioned on this board in Nov 2022 - but no information on him was forthcoming.