Rumour season opens

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
Well its that time of the year

So I will start
DOF John Ward
why was JP meeting him last week
PCrobin
Someone on FB reckoned Harry Pell is being released by Wimbledon. Maybe worth a shout? We do need someone a bit nasty in midfield, been lacking a bit of aggression in the middle of the pitch..
Si Robin
I think Pell is done now.
Robin
I've heard a few things, let's see if they come true but the return of Moore as DoF and George Lloyd potentially to another league one side not too far away seem to be doing the rounds. Worryingly nothing much on the incoming player side.
longmover
i don't think we need Harry Pell for anything, he sems to have turned into a bigger circus clown.
Warwickshire Robin
Robin wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 08:56 I've heard a few things, let's see if they come true but the return of Moore as DoF and George Lloyd potentially to another league one side not too far away seem to be doing the rounds. Worryingly nothing much on the incoming player side.
The possible return of Micky Moore is a baffling turn of events to me. Yes he did some very good things for us when he was here but the timing and manor of his departure basically proved the catalyst to the dreadful 12 months we have had culminating in relegation and so to welcome him back so quickly is just staggering in my eyes.

The only thing I can think of is the Board want to get someone in who is more unpopular than they currently are to deflect some criticism away from them :lol:
Si Robin
The Moore rumour is strange and seems to have come from nowhere.

I'm open to it. I may not be a huge fan of his ego, but you can't argue with his results. Much like some players and managers just suit certain clubs, perhaps the same can be said of DOFs.
Shade
If he comes back that would be one of the weirdest move in football considering what happened then and since. He contributed largely to us being relegated by leaving and taking half the backroom staff with him which had a big hand in the manager at the time eventually losing his job. Can't see it happening. Don't think many would want to see it happen.

If anyone is coming into the club in that respect, I think Wardy becoming DoF sounds much more likely given his recent meet up with JP, but what happens to Russ?
Si Robin
I'm quite sure Wardy has retired hasn't he?

JP often does puff pieces with ex-players and managers, I suspect it really is just that.
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 11:04 I'm quite sure Wardy has retired hasn't he?

JP often does puff pieces with ex-players and managers, I suspect it really is just that.
Would have though so, he's 73 now so unless he's short of cash I wouldn't have thought a new job would be high on his agenda.

On the subject of 'puff pieces' it would be interesting if JP got to sit down with Wade Elliott this summer to get his reflections on his time in charge and what his plans are now. I guess there may well be some things he can't talk about but would be good to hear his side of the story.
Shade
I didn't mean I thought it would happen, just that I think it would be more likely than Moore coming back/us having him back. If we do have a DoF, I would expect it to be Russ, unless the board think he isn't performing and move him on/into a different role. But I'm here to be constantly surprised by the goings on in football/our club.
Si Robin
Whilst I'm not convinced on Moore coming back, I am open to an experienced DOF coming in. I don't think Russ fits that mould.

DC has worked with DOF's at Bristol Rovers and Vale, so he'd no doubt be receptive to it.

If it's Moore, then so be it. He was a success here last time (probably not as much down to him as he'd tell you, but that's by the by). If we can go playoffs, League 2 title then two highest league finishes in our history with him as DOF, then I say give him a job for life.
Robin
The one thing you could consistently say under Moore was we got very high quality loans, probably better than any other time since we've been a football league club in my view. You could tell a lot of work went into identifying them and then securing them. Whilst there was the odd flop the majority were a great success. I appreciateit hasn't worked out for him at Shrews and the way he left was disappointing but he would definitely be a big piece of the missing jigsaw here if it does happen.
Si Robin
The club's been rudderless since he left and that can't be denied.

I don't think we need a CEO - it seems that between him and PG, that's exactly what we had.
Jim
In an ideal world i'd like both (CEO and DoF), but realistically I don't see us doing that. If it's one or the other I'd want a DoF. We need more footballing people in the running of the club who can set up and execute a strategy. It felt like we had that with MM, so I wouldn't be the worst thing if he came back. It would still be surprising given everything that's happened.
CS85
I'd definitely welcome MM back,was a big fan of his.
The club only went in one direction from when he joined,ofcourse m.duff turning out to be a great appointment helped somewhat!.
longmover
One man is being forgotten in all of this: Alfie May, he kept us in the league one with his 20+ goals a season, no Alfie no more league one.
Si Robin
No 16 clean sheets from Luke Southwood, no League 1.
milestones
longmover wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 14:44 One man is being forgotten in all of this: Alfie May, he kept us in the league one with his 20+ goals a season, no Alfie no more league one.
I think Alfie May owes a lot to Mike Duff. He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before MD really got stuck into him.
Just ask Doncaster.
Fuller
milestones wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 17:59
longmover wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 14:44 One man is being forgotten in all of this: Alfie May, he kept us in the league one with his 20+ goals a season, no Alfie no more league one.
I think Alfie May owes a lot to Mike Duff. He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before MD really got stuck into him.
Just ask Doncaster.
I think most of our players could say the same. Duffo turned water into wine.
bigdavejambo
John Ward and DC have worked together previously.

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/ar ... -football/
Fuller
Wardy must be in his early ‘70s now?
Thought he’d be enjoying his retirement?
Top bloke who spoke loads of sense even if he did clear off to Carlisle, but he did say he couldn’t take the Robins any further forward back then.
plymrob
"I've heard a few things, let's see if they come true but the return of Moore as DoF and George Lloyd potentially to another league one side not too far away seem to be doing the rounds. Worryingly nothing much on the incoming player side."

Why is this "worringly"? We have just been relegated and trying to adjust. I have though, through reading here, that you probably know first and best but, just maybe, no one knows anything yet because nothing is decided at the bottom line? Hard to contemplate I know. If only we had a CEO, or a DOF (presumably dealing directly with you), and some money left over! (Not to mention a new big 'sit' in the pipeline).

By the way... Moore coming back... ? Please - how's that worked out at Shrewsbury? It's still good riddance from me...

CTFC Board. Please stick to your guns.

For me, number one is retaining DC... then we can begin to speculate.
Robin
It's worrying simply because we need action to have started already if we are going to move forward and have a positive season. Remember when we were relegated to the conference within a couple of weeks we signed on several top end experienced players like Storer, Downes, Pell. Those deals didn't just happen over night they were identified and lined up. Same as last summer the work to sign Street, Davies and Southwood was months in advance of them officially signing. Hopefully this is happening and being kept quiet but usually there are things floating around already.
HamTown
Robin wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 07:15 It's worrying simply because we need action to have started already if we are going to move forward and have a positive season. Remember when we were relegated to the conference within a couple of weeks we signed on several top end experienced players like Storer, Downes, Pell. Those deals didn't just happen over night they were identified and lined up. Same as last summer the work to sign Street, Davies and Southwood was months in advance of them officially signing. Hopefully this is happening and being kept quiet but usually there are things floating around already.
Good god the season isn't even over yet!
Uppy
Hadn’t heard the Lloyd rumours. Who is supposedly interested?
bigdavejambo
Ryan Bowman leaves Shrewsbury - werent we interested a couple of years ago?
Fuller
bigdavejambo wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 18:26 Ryan Bowman leaves Shrewsbury - werent we interested a couple of years ago?
Yes we were and no thanks now.
He was in the Hereford team we beat in the FA Cup 12 years ago.
Warwickshire Robin
Fuller wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 21:39
bigdavejambo wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 18:26 Ryan Bowman leaves Shrewsbury - werent we interested a couple of years ago?
He also scored one league goal last season and guess who that was against :roll:
Ihearye
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 01 May 2024, 06:56
Fuller wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 21:39
He also scored one league goal last season and guess who that was against :roll:
Given that it sounds like he would fit right in!
Shade
It wouldn't be the off season without Bowman's name being mentioned in some capacity.
Si Robin
George Lloyd to Shrewsbury is looking to take off.

Links with Mickey Moore and Paul Hurst of course.
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 01 May 2024, 12:44 George Lloyd to Shrewsbury is looking to take off.

Links with Mickey Moore and Paul Hurst of course.
Well I suppose you can't blame a club for looking to get someone in with a 100% better goal return than one they have just released :lol:
Benny Profane
Haven't we a decent record with loanee centre halves? Off the top of my head Michael Hector , Rob Dickie, Cameron Burgess, Jamie Pollocks lad, Greaves. One of a similar quality would be nice in League 2.
CS85
Caleb taylor was superb 👏