Catering

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
The "No alcohol beyond this point" sign has been there since the beginning of the season.

They were very big at the start of the season on stopping people leaving the bar area. Obviously with the new bar at the Whaddon Road end of the ground it's now completely illogical. Maybe the steward simply didn't get the memo.
Nham68
Malabus wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 17:33
Nham68 wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 17:23 Was really impressed with the catering and bar behind the speedy skips today . Great job by the club. Yes it’s expensive . £6.50 for a can of deya beer (nice one though ). But if you’ve been to Wembley recently , it’s still very reasonable .
Any pint over £2.75 isn't reasonable and I won't entertain it.
Then you are destined to spend your life drinking in Weatherspoons . I’d rather be teetotal . Godforsaken places .
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 16:23 The "No alcohol beyond this point" sign has been there since the beginning of the season.
Slightly confused. There’s a sign above the door of the bar which had been covered over with yellow and black tape for a few seasons. Do you mean a new sign further down towards the Whaddon Road end which creates an alcohol No Mans Land?

Honestly, it’s stuff like this that is maddening. If the rules are going to change, why not tell us?
Si Robin
The sign is above the door of the bar as you walk back into the concourse.
Leckyfan
Si Robin wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 12:17 The sign is above the door of the bar as you walk back into the concourse.
No, the sign I was talking about is suspended from the ceiling, in the concourse area, as you walk TOWARDS the bar, but before you get there.

I don’t know if it says anything on the reverse side (as you walk AWAY from the bar, towards Whaddon Road) because I didn’t look. But what I saw only makes sense in terms of instructing people who have bought drinks from the NEW “on tap” sales point from taking their drinks as far as the CF turnstiles (and the old bar).

Perhaps there’s some complex franchising arrangement that demands no alcoholic beverage can move from one “drinks zone” into the other? Who knows 🤔
WhaddonIrregular
My guess would be it's part of the 'no alcohol in view of the pitch', as being between the signs gives you a view out of the entrance?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes, it is to stop you viewing the pitch.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 16:01 Yes, it is to stop you viewing the pitch.
surely a tastefully designed net curtain would be just the answer :lol:
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 16:01 Yes, it is to stop you viewing the pitch.
I don’t believe it is. You only need to be out of view of the pitch while the match is in progress. I was told I couldn’t leave the sports bar at 2.15.

There was a debate on the Robins Report a few months back and John Duffy spoke to the Trust here - https://www.robinstrust.org/posts/alcoh ... matchdays/

But this is all about time restrictions around serving drinks. Absolutely nothing about where they can be consumed before the game.
Leckyfan
Also, I seem to recall there are prominent “No alcohol beyond this point” as you exit the concourse to go through the short tunnels towards the pitch. That implies anyone still inside the concourse is (technically) “not in view of the pitch” (even if they happen to see a few blades of grass through those tunnels).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leckyfan wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 18:28 Also, I seem to recall there are prominent “No alcohol beyond this point” as you exit the concourse to go through the short tunnels towards the pitch. That implies anyone still inside the concourse is (technically) “not in view of the pitch” (even if they happen to see a few blades of grass through those tunnels).
Behind the C&G they have put screens up behind the access openings because it means fans can’t see the pitch through the doorway.
Jerry St Clair
Leckyfan wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 18:28 Also, I seem to recall there are prominent “No alcohol beyond this point” as you exit the concourse to go through the short tunnels towards the pitch. That implies anyone still inside the concourse is (technically) “not in view of the pitch” (even if they happen to see a few blades of grass through those tunnels).
I do not understand this at all. Every other club in the country serves alcohol in similarly designed concourses without any problem. Why are we so different?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Enjoyed the Iglu set up today. A sunshine pint and roll in the car park before the crowds came.

After a stop off in Parklands into the Colin Farmer 10 mins before kick off and got nice chips with no queue.

At half time went to the new draught beer and cider station up by block seven; no queue so time to nip to the loo and get a drink before going back out for the second half.

Anyone queueing at the bar by block 1 my tip is don’t. Head up to the other end.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 19:49
Anyone queueing at the bar by block 1 my tip is don’t. Head up to the other end.
Unless you want something decent, like a nice pint of Deya.

Actually, there was no queue at the Sport Bar and I took a leisurely stroll down after the half time whistle had blown. My boy had a very decent cheeseburger as well. Iglu are country miles better than last season’s crew.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 20:07

Actually, there was no queue at the Sport Bar and I took a leisurely stroll down after the half time whistle had blown. My boy had a very decent cheeseburger as well. Iglu are country miles better than last season’s crew.
Cider for me.
Si Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 20:07

Agreed, and credit to them for the loyalty card scheme as well. It's a little thing, but definitely gets the fans on board.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote:
Agreed, and credit to them for the loyalty card scheme as well. It's a little thing, but definitely gets the fans on board.
I mentioned to the woman behind the bar that I’d heard about the loyalty card on the pod. She said “oh yes, the boss has been on that. I’ll give it a listen”.

You’re welcome :D