Catering

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Leckyfan
Tried it out. First impressions - good quality, but VERY expensive (£4.20 for a portion of fries!).

Disappointed the new team are under orders to confiscate bottle tops (ripped off my plastic bottle of diet coke). At away grounds where this happens, I always come prepared (by carrying a few spare bottle tops!) but I got caught out today.

Anyway, it turns out we can’t have “dangerous bottle tops” this season at Whaddon Road - but taking beer into Colin Farmer seats is absolutely fine (judging from 3 blokes sat near me)!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leckyfan wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:02 Tried it out. First impressions - good quality, but VERY expensive (£4.20 for a portion of fries!).

Disappointed the new team are under orders to confiscate bottle tops (ripped off my plastic bottle of diet coke). At away grounds where this happens, I always come prepared (by carrying a few spare bottle tops!) but I got caught out today.

Anyway, it turns out we can’t have “dangerous bottle tops” this season at Whaddon Road - but taking beer into Colin Farmer seats is absolutely fine (judging from 3 blokes sat near me)!
Quality costs. Get what we pay for etc.
Broadway Brian
Leckyfan wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:02 Tried it out. First impressions - good quality, but VERY expensive (£4.20 for a portion of fries!).

You know the reason bottle tops are removed. It’s been the same at football matches for 20 years.
Leckyfan
Broadway Brian wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:23
You know the reason bottle tops are removed. It’s been the same at football matches for 20 years.
Except it hasn’t been enforced at Whaddon Road in recent seasons. Sadly, someone has ruled this must change.

Ironic when the ‘no alcohol in view of the pitch’ is being ignored (as I noted above).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leckyfan wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:28
Broadway Brian wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:23
Except it hasn’t been enforced at Whaddon Road in recent seasons. Sadly, someone has ruled this must change.

Ironic when the ‘no alcohol in view of the pitch’ is being ignored (as I noted above).
I always assumed our previous caterers just ignored EFL/FA rules by allowing us to keep lids - it surprised me every time.
Leckyfan
…and my water bottle survived the bag search (allowed to keep its bottle top) unscathed today, when I entered the ground.

Seems to be just the new caterers who are confiscating bottle tops. Hopefully the club will tell them to ease off.
Leckyfan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:30
I always assumed our previous caterers just ignored EFL/FA rules by allowing us to keep lids - it surprised me every time.
It’s a stupid, petty, pointless rule which deserves to be ignored.
robinsrule
I went to a concert recently where one outlet was selling bottles of water without tops and another was selling them with - how ridiculous (and of course we bought from the wrong one).

Talking of security searches, I had to give up my camera at Barnsley in our first game in League 1 (2003?), walk all the way round the ground and leave it in an office, then go back there again at the end. As if I was going to lob my camera on the pitch - stupid jobsworth stewards!
Fuller
robinsrule wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:55 I went to a concert recently where one outlet was selling bottles of water without tops and another was selling them with - how ridiculous (and of course we bought from the wrong one).

Talking of security searches, I had to give up my camera at Barnsley in our first game in League 1 (2003?), walk all the way round the ground and leave it in an office, then go back there again at the end. As if I was going to lob my camera on the pitch - stupid jobsworth stewards!
That was the era when you weren’t allowed to take photos in the ground. Saw fans at Whaddon Road being told not to take pics on their mobile phones back then.
Nham68
Was really impressed with the catering and bar behind the speedy skips today . Great job by the club. Yes it’s expensive . £6.50 for a can of deya beer (nice one though ). But if you’ve been to Wembley recently , it’s still very reasonable .
Malabus
Nham68 wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 17:23 Was really impressed with the catering and bar behind the speedy skips today . Great job by the club. Yes it’s expensive . £6.50 for a can of deya beer (nice one though ). But if you’ve been to Wembley recently , it’s still very reasonable .
Any pint over £2.75 isn't reasonable and I won't entertain it.
Wellwisher
Leckyfan wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:51
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:30
It’s a stupid, petty, pointless rule which deserves to be ignored.
I was once told by a Steward (not at CTFC) that is because they can be a trip hazard.

That is, if you step on an empty plastic bottle with no top on it, it will usually crumple. Whereas if it has the top on it won't, which could send you tumbling. Particular problem on a crowded staircase it seems.

I don't know how likely this is, but that's the theory at any rate.
Henry The Dog
The bottle caps enforcement I do find irritating, not all places enforce it. It’s the choice of reducing the risk of being used as a missile or being knocked over and then someone slipping over. I can guarantee if I leave the bottle on the floor it will be kicked over by people walking by my seat. Probably won’t bother getting one now so that’s 2 drinks a game they’ve lost out on.
How many times has anyone seen anyone in the Colin Farmer throw a bottle on the field? I can’t recall any.
I guess in the whole scheme of things I’m more worried about the lack of quality on the field.
Wellwisher
Henry The Dog wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 17:53 How many times has anyone seen anyone in the Colin Farmer throw a bottle on the field? I can’t recall any.
As I posted above, it may not be to prevent its use as a missile, but rather to avoid creating a trip hazard (which was what I was told)
Jerry St Clair
I’ve been told it’s a trip hazard by a stadium safety manager before. It’s definitely that.
asl
A Man City player was struck on the head last night by a cylindrical green object that I guess was a disposable vape. You could slip and break your neck on one of those, too.
Henry The Dog
As opposed to the steep stairs and lack of hand rail for the last few steps where we saw one guy badly fall. Maybe the safest way is not to sell bottles but that would get in the way of profit.
Leckyfan
Jerry St Clair wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 19:01 I’ve been told it’s a trip hazard by a stadium safety manager before. It’s definitely that.
Sounds like a typical “elf and safety” excuse to me. I’d like to see the evidence - if there is any, which I doubt.
Leckyfan
Leckyfan wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 20:15
Jerry St Clair wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 19:01 I’ve been told it’s a trip hazard by a stadium safety manager before. It’s definitely that.
Sounds like a typical “elf and safety” excuse to me. I’d like to see the evidence - if there is any, which I doubt.
(Sorry - bad form replying to self…)

Some quick googling shows some stadia (not just in the UK, and for concerts as well as sports) have been doing this nonsense for years. The O2 arena proferred both “explanations” at least 7 years ago:

Bottle tops are removed as with the lid on, a bottle can be used as missile. Without the lid, the bottle will have less impact as some fluid will be lost in flight. Also, bottles with the lid on can create a trip hazard, as in the event of an evacuation or other incident, a bottle with the lid on will roll, whereas a bottle with no lid on will crush safely.bottle can be used as missile. Without the lid, the bottle will have less impact as some fluid will be lost in flight. Also, bottles with the lid on can create a trip hazard, as in the event of an evacuation or other incident, a bottle with the lid on will roll, whereas a bottle with no lid on will crush safely.

Of course, this all predates the recent (also ludicrous) decision of Coca-cola (at least) to make their plastic bottle-tops “non-removable” (i.e. remaining attached to the bottle). IMHO the risk of injury to serving staff while forcibly snapping off the plastic now greatly exceeds any theoretical risks from throwing or tripping on a bottle.
Nham68
Malabus wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 17:33
Nham68 wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 17:23 Was really impressed with the catering and bar behind the speedy skips today . Great job by the club. Yes it’s expensive . £6.50 for a can of deya beer (nice one though ). But if you’ve been to Wembley recently , it’s still very reasonable .
Any pint over £2.75 isn't reasonable and I won't entertain it.
Doesn’t that mean you’re destined to just drink industrially produced / generic stuff ?
asl
...or only go to 'Spoons.....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leckyfan wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 20:40

Some quick googling shows some stadia (not just in the UK, and for concerts as well as sports) have been doing this nonsense for years. The O2 arena proferred both “explanations” at least 7 years ago:

Bottle tops are removed as with the lid on, a bottle can be used as missile. Without the lid, the bottle will have less impact as some fluid will be lost in flight. Also, bottles with the lid on can create a trip hazard, as in the event of an evacuation or other incident, a bottle with the lid on will roll, whereas a bottle with no lid on will crush safely.bottle can be used as missile. Without the lid, the bottle will have less impact as some fluid will be lost in flight. Also, bottles with the lid on can create a trip hazard, as in the event of an evacuation or other incident, a bottle with the lid on will roll, whereas a bottle with no lid on will crush safely.

Of course, this all predates the recent (also ludicrous) decision of Coca-cola (at least) to make their plastic bottle-tops “non-removable” (i.e. remaining attached to the bottle). IMHO the risk of injury to serving staff while forcibly snapping off the plastic now greatly exceeds any theoretical risks from throwing or tripping on a bottle.
Not just Coca-Cola, and it is not ludicrous, it is excellent. Anything to reduce littering of plastic is a good thing. The lids staying attached means they go into the recycling (or at least normal bin) with the bottle.
everyman
At that price no ones going to celebrate a goal by throwing their beer into the air in the unlikely event of Ctfc scoring a goal :lol:
Leckyfan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 21:43

Not just Coca-Cola, and it is not ludicrous, it is excellent. Anything to reduce littering of plastic is a good thing. The lids staying attached means they go into the recycling (or at least normal bin) with the bottle.
Mine do NOT stay on the bottles, ever, because it is difficult to drink from the bottle while the lid is still attached. Pouring into a container is not optimal either (risk of splash-back).

So, I normally rip the lids off (risk cutting my fingers in the process!), put them to one side, then later screw them back on to the empty bottles (further risk of injury) before I chuck them into the recycling bin.

[See? I’m not opposed to the green agenda in principle, just object to “nanny-state” (or in this case “nanny-companies”) coming up with green-wash policies that inconvenience ordinary people - or worse, introduce a new risk of injury.]

Back on topic - curious to know if the plastic bottles discarded at Whaddon Road go to recycling, or to landfill? And what about the (now-orphaned) bottle tops that are being confiscated by the caterers?

All genuine questions, not intended as wind-ups. A quick look over the official club website (and the Robins Trust website - including the otherwise-excellent “Visitor Guide”) failed to find answers.

Perhaps this is an area the Trust could look into?
Last edited by Leckyfan on 13 Aug 2023, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leckyfan wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 17:33

Mine do NOT stay on the bottles, ever, because it is difficult to drink from the bottle while the lid is still attached. Pouring into a container is not optimal either (risk of splash-back).

So, I normally rip the lids off (risk cutting my fingers in the process!), put them to one side, then later screw them back on to the empty bottles (further risk of injury) before I chuck them into the recycling bin.

[See? I’m not opposed to the green agenda in principle, just object to “nanny-state” (or in this case “nanny-companies”) coming up with green-wash policies that inconvenience ordinary people - or worse, introduce a new risk of injury.

Back on topic - curious to know if the plastic bottles discarded at Whaddon Road go to recycling, or to landfill? And what about the (now-orphaned) bottle tops that are being confiscated by the caterers?

All genuine questions, not intended as wind-ups. A quick look over the official club website (and the Robins Trust website - including the otherwise-excellent “Visitor Guide”) failed to find answers.

Reusable cups in the bar has been a long standing suggestion of mine.
Fuller
Sorry if it’s been mentioned before but I noticed the away “fanzone” type thingy in the bowls club car park.
Does CTFC or the bowls club benefit from that or has an agreement of sorts been reached? And do the bowls club still play Saturday’s during the early and late footie season?
And did notice lots of plastic glasses from there littering Whaddon Rd.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leckyfan wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 17:33

[See? I’m not opposed to the green agenda in principle, just object to “nanny-state” (or in this case “nanny-companies”) coming up with green-wash policies that inconvenience ordinary people - or worse, introduce a new risk of injury.]

Meh - I wasn’t talking about you as an individual, just in the round as a whole. Overall it will reduce bottle top littering and mean fewer bottle tops end up being eaten by marine and land animals. If you find it more inconvenient I don’t care, it’s the wider planet I am concerned about.

As for CTFC. If they switched to reusable/deposit cups for the bars, they could do the same for soft drinks. Ditch the bottles completely and just have a tap/machine dispenser. Profit margins on those are huge. It costs a few pence in syrup/powder and water!
Jerry St Clair
Bought a pint before the game today in the CF and was told I had to stay in the bar and couldn’t go out to the concourse. Not had this before. Anyone else?

I did see people in the concourse at half time but don’t know if they’d just managed to sneak them out.
CS85
The food outlet in the Colin farmer closest to away end now has amstel and finches cider on tap,people buying and then drinking in the concourse.
Anteros
God there is no pleasing some people
Moaning about removing bottle caps? Really!?
The catering at the ground in the past has been absolutely c!#p.
The new catering is so much better quality, good choice. Yes the prices are a tad expensive but that's what you get at sporting venues
The catering this season has been one of the few highlights in what has been a terrible season on the pitch.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Anteros wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 21:20 God there is no pleasing some people
Moaning about removing bottle caps? Really!?
The catering at the ground in the past has been absolutely c!#p.
The new catering is so much better quality, good choice. Yes the prices are a tad expensive but that's what you get at sporting venues
The catering this season has been one of the few highlights in what has been a terrible season on the pitch.
My bottle cap wasn’t opened or removed today, so…

Fries were great. The cost is just standard cost and I wouldn’t say it is expensive. Two people on the tills and three working away behind who all seemed competent. So much better than the previous mob.
Leckyfan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 22:08
My bottle cap wasn’t opened or removed today, so…
Nor was mine 👏 Common sense restored after an over-zealous period at the start of this season.

Ditto on bag searches. Not had my shoulder bag opened (when approaching the CF turnstiles) for the past couple of games 👏
Although they were on the ball and stopping youngsters trying to get in holding open cans of lager.
robinsrule
I paid €5 for a fairly small portion of chips at an Italian match yesterday so it seems that’s pretty much the going rate. I also drank a few beers in sight of the pitch and it was a fantastic civilised experience!
Jerry St Clair
CS85 wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 20:17 The food outlet in the Colin farmer closest to away end now has amstel and finches cider on tap,people buying and then drinking in the concourse.
How odd. Literally no idea what could be going on here then. The steward was absolutely adamant that you “can’t leave the bar with beer anymore”.
Leckyfan
Agree - all very confusing.

As you stood in the concourse, facing north towards the Parklands turnstiles (with the “home” catering outlet on your left) there was sign overhead saying “No alcohol beyond this point”. I don’t recall seeing that before - suspect it was new.

In which case, there is a small “no alcohol” zone within the CF concourse (right by the Parklands turnstiles) effectively separating the (now two) alcohol sales points.

Presumably the new “on tap” sales point will serve away fans (when we get larger away attendances, and the concourse gets split into two).